BECAUSE I DON'T have ready access to our utility bills and usage records, I’m attentive when they do come my way. Recently, for a training project, I was given spreadsheets of what Mishkon spent on electricity and water (combined) during the past year.
Below the jump, I briefly discuss the spreadsheets that I received from our bookkeeper.
206 Main Street
For the sanctuary building alone, the annual total paid was $18,589. Assuming that the building is only in use for about 60 days per year (Shabbat and holidays), that amounts to more than $300 for each day of use (!).
![]() |
| (As usual, click/tap on an image to enlarge it.) |
What’s more, in December the apparent per-event utility cost appears to have been closer to $600; and that figure doesn’t even include the cost of gas for heating, hot water, and cooking. Just electricity for the heaters’ blower fans, the air filtration units, lights, audio/video equipment, kitchen refrigerator and freezer(s)—as well as water. That’s incredible. It hardly seems plausible to me that the amount of energy or water used could have been that high!
Now, I hazily recall that our executive director mentioned to me that at least one circuit breaker for the school building is actually located in the sanctuary building. So it may be that some of the energy charged to the sanctuary account is actually attributable to the school building.
201 Hampton Drive
For the school/office building alone (as metered there), the annual total paid was $555. That equals about $46 per month. Assuming that the building is in use only on weekdays, that amounts to roughly $2 for each day of use.


No comments:
Post a Comment