July 11, 2022

Completion Report: Fixing the Play Yard’s Gate

THIS PROJECT WAS COMPLETED more than 9 months ago, on 9/22/21. I’m posting it now because the report itself exemplifies how every project involving a historically significant component is supposed to be documented. That is, it follows the report template provided in the 2003 Historic Structures Report, and recommended for all historic-cultural monuments. 

In retrospect, it’s a bit ironic that I first applied the template to a facilities component that has no historical significance! (I think I did so because this project was easier to write up — being less convoluted than the ones that involve our older components tend to be.) Yet I post it anyway, for the record. Who knows, the information may come in handy, in the future. For before-and-after photos, scroll to the end.…


Project Summary 

Repair of the gate lock, and replacement of its housing.

 

Problem Statement

The preschool director informed me on August 10 that the playground’s gate lock had stopped working: entering the code would no longer open the latch. The underlying issue turned out to be a defect in the construction of the gate—or at least a mismatch between the gate design and the type of lock that had been installed in it.

 

Intent of the Work

In order to have a reliable gate lock, we needed to remedy a defect in the gate’s construc­tion that apparently was causing the lock mechanism to fail periodically.

 

How the Work was Approached and Accomplished

An internet search showed that our gate is secured with a Lockey USA model 2835 Lever Mechanical Keyless Lock. Staff members seem to be happy with the normal operation of this lock.

Our executive director had recently quit, so it was not clear who our go-to vendor was for this lock. Based on what the ledger entries suggested, I contacted Mulholland Security Centers, for it seemed that they had installed the lock. Yet according to Ryan there, they are no longer in either the locksmithing or gate business. I then called Advance Lock & Key in Venice (who had done work for Mishkon in 2018) and spoke with David there, (310) 306-8248. He asked certain questions to helpfully diagnose the problem over the phone. He insisted that Mishkon would need to pay with a credit card (by phone) at the time of service, but he was willing to keep a job ticket open until everything was done. 

Subsequent steps:

• Locksmith orders replacement parts.

• Locksmith repairs the lock.

• Locksmith explains the lingering chronic problem: The lock would break again soon unless its housing was enlarged to fit it properly. He could order a larger “box” for the lock, but a welder would be needed to replace the old housing with that new one.

• Locksmith recommends a welder, who it turns out is unlicensed. So I keep looking for a welder.

• A local welding shop recommended a licensed welder who travels to jobs (Paul’s Welding in Santa Monica). Paul is willing — but is not available right away.

• Locksmith orders the larger replacement housing that he says is needed.

• Welder picks up the part from the locksmith.

• Welder estimates a 6-hour job, not including replacing the lock and deadbolt. That duration means we cannot have this job done on a day when the preschool is open.

• Checking the synagogue calendar, a certain weekday date is identified when the preschool is not in session, and when other activity on the premises is minimal.

• Welder arrives; our custodian orients and assists him.

• Welder replaces the lock’s housing, enlarges the face plate, adds a nib to allow the latch to shut securely, and primes and paints the new parts.

• The locksmith returns immediately and reinstalls the lock and deadbolt.

 

Time Required to Do the Work

August 10 to September 22

 

Cost

Advance Lock & Key (parts and labor):      $238

Paul’s Welding (parts and labor):               $600

Total:                                                  $838


Finally, although the report template didn’t prompt for satisfaction, I must note that both vendors were conscientious, cooperative, solution-oriented, and timely — exactly what I would want where a security gate is concerned. I had to really rely on these professionals, and they came through for us. I would happily engage either or both of them again.

Old lock housing was too small (narrow)


New, larger lock housing

Outside: old face plate


New, larger face plate




No comments: