July 10, 2022

Compromises in the Outer Wall on the South Side

THE EVER-ALERT Brett Barenholtz has called my attention to some breaks and gaps in the sanctuary’s stucco wall on the south side. 

I wasn’t previously aware of the problem, because that wall is not normally accessible to us, due to our neighbors’ fence around their parking lot. (Yes, it’s merely a matter of giving due notice to the owner, Perloff & Webster, and getting permission to go in; but I just hadn’t gotten around to it yet.…) 

This post documents the issue—which needs to be fixed before the rainy season, and before doing interior wall repairs.…


Last week as I rode by on my bike, I saw that the neighboring parking lot gate was open. So (I confess) I scooted in for 2 minutes, to take a few photos. Here’s what I saw. (For easy reference, I number the posts starting from the easternmost one.)…

#1A. Missing stucco and cracks at 2nd post, right view

#1B. Missing stucco and cracks at 2nd post, left view

#2. Cracks in stucco/paint near grade, W of 1st post

#3. Cracks in stucco/paint near grade, E of 1st post (from E side)

Let me situate these areas on the elevation drawing.…

#1 appears to be located located where there is considerable interior damage. The middle of the spall is at the level of the sanctuary floor. I.e., that spall extends up for about 2’ of the sanctuary wall, and about 2’ below the floor level.

#2 is likewise located where the interior wall condition is the worst: right in front of the front row of seats. Most of the breaks are below the level of the sanctuary floor. (The top of the exterior horizontal flange is equivalent to the height of the bimah.)

#3 is located at the passageway between the sanctuary and the play yard. I’m not aware of interior water intrusion there, but that may be because it’s hidden behind some stored stuff. We’ll have to take a closer look! (This photo also shows that the lower portion of the downspout, which was replaced in 2021 because our neighbor had damaged it, has yet to be painted. Hmm. Add that to the to-do list, along with putting a lock on the spigot next to the downspout! Hopefully Ruben can take care of those items, with Ellie helping him to get permission from the neighbor, as needed.)

NOTE: Additional problems may be hidden behind the two dumpsters. I didn’t check, because I didn’t want to overstay my “welcome” during my impromptu visit.

Correlation with Water Intrusion Inspection Reports

In 2005, B&G had engaged a water-intrusion consultant, David Spiegel of Spiegel Certified Restoration. He noted at the time:

Degradation of the painted plaster wall was observed at floor level, and continued up the wall approximately 2 feet, on the synagogue’s southern wall. The heaviest areas of degradation were observed on the eastern side of the synagogue, and gradually lessen as you traveled west along the wall. This button-board plaster wall material appears to be attached by furring strips to a poured-in-place concrete foundation wall, continuing upward from the basement … above ground level. ¶ [Outside,] there was an asphalt parking lot, with sections of the parking lot that were not sloped adequately to divert rainwater away from the temple during heavy rainstorms. 
Mr. Spiegel opined that the downspout was undersized and overflowing during heavy rainstorms (and so we eventually enlarged it in 2021); and furthermore, “rainwater on the surface of the asphalt parking lot is absorbing into the concrete foundation wall, and by capillary action continuing to absorb into the interior plaster wall materials.”

In other words, the water intrusion was coming from below, rather than from above! (He also suspected that below-grade moisture in the ground was wicking up into the interior plaster wall.)

In October 2020 (while Mishkon was closed during “lockdown”), Mr. Spiegel was called back for another assessment. He noted that the problem of the unsealed wall-to-asphalt joint had not been corrected. Here is what the interior wall looked like at the worst spot (front row):


Whereas at first I thought that the “capillary action” idea was implausible, upon seeing the state of the stucco on the exterior last week, I now think he’s probably right. To my untrained eye, the stucco and paint in those areas do look like they have been degraded by excess moisture from behind.

Spiegel recommended three corrective measures

(1) Portions of the southern neighbor’s parking asphalt parking lot should be re-sloped away from the building, to prevent any surface water from collecting on the parking lot next to the building. (2) The joints between the southern wall of the Mishkon Tephilo building and the parking lot should be sealed. (3) L-shaped metal flashing should be installed that covers this joint. It would direct water away from the joint. (This would require some periodic maintenance, to seal the top joint between the Mishkon Tephilo wall and the flashing.)

NOTE: The 10-inch wide strip of parking-lot surface closest to our building is actually part of Mishkon’s property, if I read the property maps correctly. So it’s our responsibility and authority to take care of things there.

Next Step

I intend to contact a couple of waterproofing companies, to help me develop appropriate job specs. (I’ve only just now learned that such a business category exists — and that they are ones to call rather than a general building contractor.) After getting a representative bid, I’ll ask the board for an enabling motion to approve the repair/improvement work.

No comments: