August 12, 2023

Accompanying our vendors, even on routine maintenance

WHENEVER I COULD, I have accompanied a service technician or inspector when they are on the premises. Yes, I could leave it to Ruben, and he will generally report afterward about learning something or other, but I have found that when I am present, not only do I learn more about our facilities and what matters, but also the technician/inspector will do a better job than they would do alone. 

Below the jump, I expand a bit on this idea.…

Because we have a fairly old building, I look for vendors who are diligent and collaborative. Those qualities are especially valuable when facility conditions have deteriorated beyond what routine maintenance can accomplish. There are competing considerations to weigh, and so it often takes some discussion to arrive at an optimal course of action.

My presence on the scene shows that Mishkon cares about maintaining the premises in good condition. That improves the technician’s/inspector’s game.

I try to ask open-ended questions that prompt further thinking. For example:

“What are the implications of that observation, in your mind?”

“What else could be causing that problem?”

“Could two things be going on to explain what we are seeing?”

“Is there anything about this situation that seems not to fit with your working diagnosis?”

“Last year, you said that ____. Are you finding that conditions are still materially the same?” 

“Is that ____ over there a matter of concern to you?”

“What should we be on the lookout for, as a sign of developing trouble?”

No comments: