January 29, 2024

Why is this section of the south wall different from the others?

THE TITLE of this post is a sincere question that is being posed to our waterproofing contractor, Cameron Figgins of Absolute Maintenance & Consulting. My focus here is on the concrete stem wall (also known as the foundation wall), which juts out along the bottom of the overall exterior wall.

Why does the section on the right of the pilaster
look so different from the one on the left?
(As usual, click/tap on an image to enlarge it.)

My concern is not aesthetics but rather that the rightmost section seems less well protected from future water intrusion.

I’ve been wanting to pose that title question in person since mid-August, but I haven’t succeeded in meeting up with Cameron on site. So last week, I asked him via email. He promptly replied:

Please send me something from a few different angles. I'm really interested to see what you're talking about here, see what you might mean.  

In response, I am uploading photos to this post. Below the jump break, I document how the easternmost section of our wall looks markedly different from the other sections. 

Baseline for comparison

As a baseline for comparison, these first two images show the typical wall section (which happens to be the adjacent one)

The following three aspects of the waterproofing work on most sections inspires confidence in the result.

Typical transition at the top of the stem wall

First, the ledge along the top of the stem wall has been smoothed over (“curbed”)so that water no longer collects on the ledge. 

Second, as shown in both photos, the vertical surface of the stem wall has been sealed with Xypex, a waterproofing compound for concrete. Thus in the event that the top layer of green elastomeric paint is compromised by abrasion (as people and their vehicles pass by in the parking lot), the stem wall will still not admit water.

Typical transition at the bottom of the stem wall

Third, the seam along the bottom of the stem wall has been curbed as well, to direct rainwater away from the building foundation. Furthermore, the first coat of the flexible elastomeric paint was applied behind the curbing, while its second coat (the visible one) was applied over the edge of the curbing. This detail will help to preserve a watertight seal as that seam regularly expands in the sunlight and contracts in the shade. 

The easternmost section

In contrast, the easternmost section of the wall looks markedly different. 

It is the only section that did not seem to receive any of the three underlying treatments for the stem wall: 
  • curbing along the upper edge, 
  • Xypex coating on the vertical surface, and 
  • a seam covering along the bottom.  

The section in question




Plants are growing out of the open seam along the bottom.

I’m puzzled as to the reasoning behind the distinctive treatment of this section, compared to the other ones. I would love an explanation. 

Update

A few hours after I posted the above, Cameron responded:

Everything looks fine to us.… I don't think that there is an issue but if you can please send us a picture of this after a major rainstorm so that we can take another look, that would be great. I don't believe there is anything that is not protected, it all looks great to us.


No comments: