JASON DICE, the Federation vice president in charge of the Community Security Initiative (CSI), has consistently taken a balanced approach, in his conversations with me about the height of potential security barriers at Mishkon.
Below the jump, I summarize and quote his advice.…
From the perspective of security alone, Mishkon would meet the best-practices standard with a fence/gate system of 6–7 feet in height.
That is because Mishkon is at worst a medium-risk target, or at the high end of low-risk. And the appropriate barrier height depends upon the degree of threat. Guidelines from the American Society for Industrial Security International (ASIS) suggest the following barrier height based on level of security requirement:
Low threat = 5–6 ft
Medium threat = 7 ft
High threat = 18–20 ft
Q&A about the proper height of a barrier
Q: What would you do at our site, Jason, if it were up to you?
A: “Personally, I would go for a 7-foot-high barrier. That’s because I’m more than 6 feet tall, so I don’t find a 5- or even 6-foot-high fence to feel like much of a deterrent.”
Q: Why not an 8-foot-high barrier? Wouldn’t that be more secure?
A: “We are not asking you to create Folsom Prison.”

No comments:
Post a Comment