May 08, 2025

Stairlift for accessibility to sanctuary from Main Street: Further thoughts (Draft Proposal)

SINCE FEBRUARY, when I proposed that we install a stairlift in our historic sanctuary building’s front stairwell (a move that shortly thereafter was independently suggested to me by Ed Geil), I have spoken with several more vendors of stairlifts. In the process, I have learned a few things.

Below the jump, I share the two biggest lessons learned, and their implications.…

What I have learned

  1. It makes more sense to have only one unit that curves around the central wall of the stairwell, rather than two separate units—one going up from the street-level landing, and another one going down. (I had been thinking incrementally: let’s try out the short run first, which is used more often anyway, and see how we like it. Then later, assuming that we gain widespread support, we can add an extension down to the Social Hall. That approach was sort of like how Metro expands the reach of its light rail system.) Not only the equipment cost but also the permitting and maintenance costs would be lower, in total. In a certain way it would also be safer. And for someone who is traversing the entire distance, it would be easier to get to the destination.
  2. In the City of L.A., it is unusually difficult to get a stairlift approved for non-residential use. That’s because the building department treats stairlifts the same as a small elevator—with regard to safety issues, signage requirements, and so forth. One experienced vendor told me that she has tried more than once but never managed to complete a commercial installation in Los Angeles. 

Implications

As a result, I have gotten one bid for a single curved chairlift, and I am awaiting a second bid.

Also I am now planning to fold in the stairlift with the overall accessibility plan that our architect will be developing. That way, we won’t get into trouble when building inspectors are on site for the related projects and see an unpermitted stairlift. Hopefully we can combine the permit fees and processing, and benefit from an integrated vision. I’m told that including another voluntary accessibility improvement in the mix will further enhance the standing of the entire package, in the eyes of the City.

No comments: